Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My First Short Story

It's generally accepted in publishing circles that short stories don't sell.  The simple fact is that a collection of short stories from an author, no matter how famous or respected. never sell as well as a novel.  That's as true of Stephen King as it is of an up-and-coming writer.

I always felt that the arrival of eReaders would change that.  The problem in the past has been that a reader has never been able to buy a single short story, only a collection.  But for the first time the eReader gives the buying public the opportunity of buying stories one at a time.

In the winter of 2010 and spring of 2011 I had a huge amount of success self-publishing eBooks.  I am the only self-published author to ever have the top three places on the Amazon UK Kindle list. And my book The Basement was number one in the US and the UK Kindle charts.

I realised that the eReader gave buyers the chance to buy single stories at a reasonably low price. On Amazon that's 99 cents.  And it's also possible to give away eBooks, for free.

So I self-published a story about a Chinese detective in Singapore with a fondness for locked room mysteries.  I now give away Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish for free.



You can get it in the UK  HERE

And in the US  HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment